Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

I had the privilege of attending a training with the brilliant Lucy Calkins this winter. Of course I left the day long session with a lot of notes and ideas, but I wanted to share this particular set of questions because they are all simple yet very profound. Here is the list that has already helped me to be a better teacher of reading and thinking. I hope you experience the same thing!

Questions to push thinking about CHARACTER…

  • How are the character names significant?
  • How are the characters changing or staying the same over time?
  • What or who causes the character to most be themselves?
  • How do the characters react to the setting?
  • What are the relationships between the characters like?
  • Who do these characters remind you of and why?
  • What details about the characters has the author left out?


Questions to push thinking about SETTING…
  • What tone does the setting create?
  • If the story was set somewhere else, how might it be different?
  • What does the setting allow for?
  • What does the setting limit?
  • Does this setting remind you of somewhere you’ve been?
  • What details has the author kept from us about the setting?


Questions to push thinking about PLOT…
  • What patterns are showing up?
  • How do the current events add to the problem or the solution?
  • Is there any hint of what’s to come (foreshadowing)?
  • How is the passage of time represented?
  • What is moving the story forward?
  • How is the structure related to the plot?
  • What perspectives are represented?
  • What perspectives are missing from the story?


Ways to write longer…
  • I wonder if this…
  • More evidence of this is…
  • The author could have __________ but instead they…
  • If nothing changes, this might lead to…
  • This adds to my theory about…
  • This supports or conflicts with the title because…
  • I disagree with the author’s choice to…
  • As I read, I’m changing how I think about…

No comments:

Post a Comment