Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Math Tool Boxes

I've had a few questions about managing math manipulatives in my classroom from teachers that have stopped by and so I figured I would share what they look like, from the outside in and a little about my rationale for using them.
First off, they are NOT actually boxes (sorry if thats disappointing but I don't currently own 6 tool boxes.) They are cheap (like for 2 for $1 cheap) baskets. I have six total, because I have six student work tables.
This is where they live:
Sometimes I find them out and around the room, but it doesn't bother me because I know my students use them well and know when to use them. The idea is that the whole basket can be taken to the table and you can take out what you need, or even switch strategies in the middle of solving! I love how flexible students are with their thinking when given choices.
As far as the contents, here is what each has:
  • 5 number lines (0-30)
  • 5 100 charts
  • About 40 unifix cubes of the same color 
  • A set of place value blocks (4 hundreds, 25 tens, and 20 ones)
  • 20-30 clear plastic counting discs
  • Assorted coins (quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies)

Like I said, my students have learned to be flexible with these more than I could have even imagined and I'm grateful that we really haven't had sharing issues. Because the truth is, its not necessarily enough of any one material to lead a whole class lesson. I have more a "use what you need" policy and it has worked out fine. Here are some of the ways I have shown/observed students using them...
  • Counting out coins to represent amounts in a story problem, especially when needed to find the change given
  • Using the counters for simple addition and subtraction with students that are still building number sense and fluency
  • Number lines for adding and subtracting or solving "how many more" problems with small numbers
  • Unifix cubes stacked to compare amount and solve "whats the difference?" problems
  • 100 charts for skip counting support (laminated so we can write on them with dry erase!)
  • Place value blocks for adding and regrouping
  • Counters or ones cubes for making arrays in repeated addition/multiplication and division
Of course there are MANY more ways they can be used but those are pretty much the most frequent uses. I find that my students start out using them and with a little support can internalize the concepts enough that they do not need them when it comes to assessments. It has also been interesting to see some of my students that are strong in math find ways to model, explain and support for students that are struggling...using the toolkits! It's a fine like to walk between building knowledge and  giving them tools but its so important to be able to grab them when meaning starts to break down, so I am very glad I took the time to put them together and introduce them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment