Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My Space...Why I have no "desk"

After my first year teaching, I made a big decision. I didn't want the teacher desk I had in my classroom anymore. No, I wasn't trying to upgrade to something new or fancier...I didn't want a desk AT ALL. I came to this conclusion for three reasons;
  1. Some of my colleagues had huge desk spaces or "teacher-only" areas that gradually seemed to grow and create messes as the year went on
  2. I too had noticed a collection of messes accumulating on my desk...and it had only been 9 months!
  3. I only ever sat down at my desk for about 30 min before and after school
So, I took the leap and that summer I had them haul it away. I was determined for my classroom space to reflect the actual ratio of kids : teacher. In other words, if there were 24 of them and one of me, I didn't want to be taking up 50% (or even 30%) of the work space. Honestly, a lot of people don't get it, but I am so glad I did it. Now this year, in a new building, in an open-classroom-type space there is even less square footage than I'm used to, but its fine! Because THIS is my teacher workspace:


Lietrally, from the green tape on the counter to the end of the counter on left, that's my space (including the cabinet below)! Now granted, there are shelves above (which are behind the bird/branch curtains in the next photo) but that's just professional books and drawer organizers of office supplies. 
I am glad I down-sized all that time ago because there is so much more space for my students now. It also causes me to stay organized because I literally have no room for a mess! You don't have to be crazy like me, but I challenge you to think about how space is used in YOUR classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment